Thursday, October 29, 2015

Blog 10 - Interview 2 Reflection



1. Please explain how you are spending your mentorship time (Is it at a workplace or somewhere else?  Are you shadowing?  Are you able to do tasks that are meaningfully related to the topic?  If so, what?  Are there other people who are experts in the location?  Etc...)
  • I am spending my mentorship time in the same place but doing two things at once. I go volunteer about two days a week and four hours every week. When I go in i arrive fifteen minutes before his class of the day begins. Once class starts I am able to sit in and watch how he teaches. My mentor teaches both math and science. After class is over my mentor usually stays after school to help kids who feel they need more help in homework or school work in general. During this time I am able to work with the kids and tutor them with homework, while also getting experience on reinforcing what they learned in class. 
2.  How did you find your mentor?  How did you convince this person to help you?  

  • My mentor was actually my seventh grade math and science teacher. He was the one that told my parents and I about Ipoly. Unfortunately after seventh grade he got moved to another school. But he came back to Sparks a few years ago and I was able to visit him. I convinced him to be my mentor when I mentioned what it was I was doing for my senior project and what Ipoly's senior project consisted off.

3. How would you rate your comfort level with your mentor at this point in your relationship?  How does this relate to the time you've spent so far at mentorship/with this person

  • If I would rate my comfort from 1-10 with my mentor I would say it would be a good 6. We have been around each other long enough to talk professionally and non professionally. This relates to the time I've spent with my mentor because I get to see them both inside and outside the classroom. And by having this comfort with my mentor, it gives us the chance to talk about his teaching and if there was anything I would change, add, or have done differently. And I think this is the most important aspect I have regarding my mentorship. 

4. What went well in this interview?  Why do you think so?  What do you still need to improve?  How do you know?  How will you go about it?
  • My interview went well, it was about the same length as my last one and we were able to talk about things in between. I still need to improve on my small talk in between questions but I am slowly improving on it. I think I can fix my skills on small talk by getting to know my mentor a little better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment